Thursday, December 30, 2021

Math Tip Thursday

 Hi! How is everyone doing? I love how this week between Christmas and New Years just slips by. It is always such a relaxing week for me where I can catch up on reading, clean, finally make all the Christmas cookies I wanted to... shhh! 

For this week's Math Tip Thursday since we have been talking about tax, tip, percent increase, and more... lets look at how you can tip easily. A great tip (and considered average) is 20%. So what if your bill is $40.50, how can you quickly find 20% without a calculator?

Check out how easy this is!

Step 1: Find 10%. Remember 10% is moving the decimal one spot to the left.

                                $40.50 --> 10% = $4.05

Step 2: Double whatever 10% is! Remember 20% is 10 x 2.

                                $4.05 • 2 = $8.10

                                or 4.05 + 4.05 = $8.10

Step 3: So, 20% of $40.50 is $8.10!!! 

How easy was that?! Right!! Now go out and tip your servers 20% :).

Alright, now I'm sure you're all wondering if you got the grinch brain teaser correct? 

SPOILERS BELOW! If you want to try and solve it, don't look yet!!

You've been warned... are you sure you're ready?



The answer is = 22! Did you get it right?

So, the Grinch with Max = 11, the hat = 2, and the tree = 9.

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday break. Till next time!


No comments :

Post a Comment